POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Automatic breaking of edges? : Re: Automatic breaking of edges? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Automatic breaking of edges?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 16 Mar 2009 08:41:33
Message: <49be48fd$1@news.povray.org>
joe wrote:
> As a machinist, when we make a part, we are often asked to "break" edges with a
> certain radius.  This makes edges somewhat smoother without altering the shape
> to a large degree.  Say if I made a 1" cube out of steel, each edge might have
> a .030 radius.  No longer sharp edges but yet still a 1" cube.  If I create a
> box in povray the edges are very sharp.  Can a radius be applied automatically
> to edges?  It is very tedious to create radius edges in code even for a simple
> shape.

I do this a lot with all of the modeling I've done, and I have some
macros that make the easier shapes.  But at times I have had to do the
nitty details as well to get the desired results.

I find that one of the best long-run time savers in this regard is to
design the object in question so that the radius of the edge is defined
in a variable that can be changed with one #declare statement, made
before the actual object-building code.  It makes the modeling more
tedious, but I usually want to change the radius at least once, so it's
worth the extra trouble.

Regards,
John