POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Non-blocking I/O : Re: Non-blocking I/O Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Non-blocking I/O
From: scott
Date: 16 Mar 2009 04:35:48
Message: <49be0f64$1@news.povray.org>
> WHY is this so difficult?

Had the same the other day, an old SD memory card was playing up and my
camera wouldn't recognise it, so I put it in my PC card reader to try and
read it and format it.  But you can guess what happened, almost the whole
computer ground to a halt, I couldn't open any Explorer windows etc, but as
soon as I unplugged the card everything started working again.  Again, WTF -
didn't they think this might happen sometime and account for it!

My solution, forget multitasking or multi-CPUs, you need multi-PCs.  I have
my desktop and my laptop connected to two monitors next to each other,
running InputDirector so that my pointer moves seemlessly from one monitor
to the other and my keyboard works on both machines.  That way, if one
screen goes screwy or is getting bogged down, the other one is still
perfectly responsive :-)