POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another thought on Intelligent Design : Re: Another thought on Intelligent Design Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:15:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another thought on Intelligent Design
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 15 Mar 2009 22:40:41
Message: <49bdbc29$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> There is no contemporary evidence, ***from his own time***, that he
>> even existed at all.
>
> I was watching a documentary a couple months ago where they were talking
> about Flavius and all that, and why Flavius was trying Jesus, and
> pointing to the head priest (or whatever) of the time, talking about how
> the head priest wouldn't have like Jesus, yadda yadda, how he probably
> knew about Jesus and accused him of ... wait a minute, "probably"?
> Meaning there's no actual documentation that the priests of the city
> where Jesus was crucified ever mentioned Jesus' name?  Amazing what
> people will paper over in support of a point.
>
> Me, I just don't understand the point of looking for historical or
> scientific evidence of that in which you're supposed to have faith. I
> didn't think that's how it was supposed to work.

Ah, but its fairly close to impossible to remain "sane" and not attempt
to provide justification for why something you believe is true. All of
them do it, from the ID movement, who try, while ignoring vast swaths of
evidence to the contrary, to attribute every hang nail an animal gets to
"divine guidance", to those trying to explain belief in god in general,
while ignoring the vast chasm between what is "known", and what isn't,
in an attempt to make it seem like they have all sorts of "evidence" for
it, when in fact its... kind of like the list of "cures" one group of
them came up with in their anti-ES stem cell gibberish. They definitely
list 78 cases. The problem is that a small handful are "experimental",
and are not used to cure "jack" in the real world, and the rest are like
70+ of this:

1. Patient A had H cancer, which required radiation treatment S, after
which their own adult "bone marrow" stem cells where used to rebuild
their immune system.

2. Patient B had I cancer, which required radiation treatment T, after
which their own adult "bone marrow" stem cells where used to rebuild
their immune system.

3. Patient C had J cancer, which required radiation treatment U, after
which their own adult "bone marrow" stem cells where used to rebuild
their immune system.

4-70+ (same thing)

In not one of the non-experimental examples given was the stem cells
used to "cure" the disease they started with. They where used to cure
the disease "caused by curing the original disease". But, you have to
hand it to them, they did find ***one*** disease that adult stem cells
*can* cure. Too bad its one created by curing 70+ other, unrelated,
conditions. lol

Its this sort of thing they do all the time. That and "circular"
referencing. There is nothing like reading some comment about how person
A said something profound about god, which thus proves the Bible, only
to find that they where quoting person B, who quoted person C, who in
turn quotes a Biblical passage...

The only people I know of that have "faith" without "evidence" in any of
it, are the sort that even most Christians don't want to deal with,
unless its from the other side of thick glass, with the padded walls on
the side where the "faithful" are. None of them value "blind faith" in
anything, other than religion, and most of them spend almost all their
time then complaining that they can't tell the difference, when
confronted with someone that says, "Yeah, but my faith that I will wake
up tomorrow is based on, you know.. the fact that I 'have' all the prior
times, which is *not* the same as what you people keep babbling about,
and even you admit that you don't use the kind of faith you talk about
for *anything*, including, based on your actions, what you claim *is*
that kind of faith."

Its, like someone that persistently tells you that everything blue in
the entire universe is "blue", until confronted with a pair of blue
genes, at which point they "insist" that in that case they are in fact
"orange". Huh?!?

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {