POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Converting Models to CSG : Re: Converting Models to CSG Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Converting Models to CSG
From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 14 Mar 2009 22:51:20
Message: <49bc6d28@news.povray.org>
Sometimes it can be helpful (or at least somewhat entertaining) just to
sit down with a simple object and a ruler and try making the shape.  For
example, grab a soda can.  It's a cylinder, right?  You can easily
measure the dimensions of the cylinder and render it.

But then you look at it again.  Well, actually, it's a lot more than
just a cylinder.  There's a sort of stretched-up torus around the top,
and that odd-shaped indentation under the pull tab--whoa, there's a pull
tab!  And so on.  You just do one piece at a time--make that piece look
right, and then move on to another piece.

When you're just working on the shape, it can be useful to use a shiny
plastic texture (like the shiny red plastic in the Help file tutorials).
  That will give you a good idea of the shape without any textural
distractions.  Once you've got something that looks sort of right,
though, you'll want to make a textured version (which is where Warp's
tutorial about improving scenes becomes really useful; it's got some
nice examples of textures and lighting that could help transform that
red plastic soda can into something realistic).

A few years back, I sat down with a stand magnifier (you know, the
Double-Barreled Roach Clip With Solar Lighter) and started measuring and
coding.  About 1500 lines later, I actually had something I liked enough
to put in an IRTC entry.  It didn't win or anything, but I was pretty
happy with it.  ;)

Well, anyway, hope that helps a little.  I've had the flu for about a
week and am feeling a little brain-damaged, so hope this isn't too
incoherent.  ;)

--Sherry Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+