POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 31: Crackle problem : Re: Beta 31: Crackle problem Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 31: Crackle problem
From: Bob
Date: 13 Mar 2009 19:36:56
Message: <49baee18$1@news.povray.org>
I tried a quick test using 640x480 res., crackle1.pov and crackle_form.pov
(not animated) and got the following.

3.7 beta 31 (fixed crackle) 1 thread:
crackle1.pov
noAA=2.5s; AA=4s

crackle_form.pov
noAA=8s; AA=16.5s

3.7 beta 31 (fixed crackle) 2 threads:
crackle1.pov
noAA=1.5s; AA=2.25s

crackle_form.pov
noAA=4.3s; AA=8.7s

3.6.1c (always 1 thread, of course):
crackle1.pov
noAA=3s; AA=5s

crackle_form.pov
noAA=13s; AA=27s

So in these cases it would seem the AA difference alone is typically an
approximate doubling (or halving without AA) of rendering times, while 2
threads is an obvious speed-up.
And 3.7 shows an improvement over 3.6 even when limited to 1 thread.

On a side note, I couldn't animate crackle_form.pov in 3.6 due to a
freeze-up that required its "process" being shutdown. However, the
unanimated renders have different appearances, such as a truncated cone part
in the 3.6 image where only a small disc shows in 3.7 (amid other *pieces*
of the crackle-made object), which I have no explanation for.

Bob H.