POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Epic (and expensive) failure : Re: Epic (and expensive) failure Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Epic (and expensive) failure
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Mar 2009 05:51:55
Message: <49ba2cbb$1@news.povray.org>
>>> dude people can WALK 4.6 miles in 1.2 hours!
>>
>> Er, yeah, right.
>
> 4.6 miles in 1.2 hours is 3.8 MPH, that is brisk walking pace, I
> guarantee you that most people would be able to manage that WALKING with
> no prior training.  That is unbelievably slow for a bike, are you sure
> you got those figures correct?

It might be 4.2 miles or 4.8 miles or something, but it was definitely
just under 5 miles. And the time might not be exactly 1.2 hours, but it
was a little over 1 hour.

I specifically remember computing my average speed and being
dissapointed by it. (Especially since during the downhill parts, my
speedometer registered 20 MPH or more.)

Indeed, every morning I'd get out of bed, have my breadfast, and be out
of the door while my little sister lay sound asleep in bed. Half an hour
later I'd cycle past her school and she'd be there on her bike chatting
to her friends. I never could figure out how the hell she got there so
fast, or how she got in front of my without passing me.

I think the problem is that the route is uphill in both directions.
(Despite this obviously being physically impossible.) Perhaps it *would*
in fact be faster to walk it. Cycling uphill is absurdly hard.