POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : mesh of triangles: how to specify the back side? : Re: mesh of triangles: how to specify the back side? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:28:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mesh of triangles: how to specify the back side?
From: Chris B
Date: 13 Mar 2009 05:20:10
Message: <49ba254a$1@news.povray.org>
"Mike Williams" <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote in message
news:3IA### [at] econymdemoncouk...
> Wasn't it MelR who wrote:
>>How do you make a mesh of triangles with one set of textures on one side,
>>and an
>>entirely different set of textures on the other side.  The mesh does NOT
>>make an
>>enclosing surface (it is not a shape with an inside and an outside).
>  ... snip ...
> All surfaces have an exterior and interior surface. The interior_texture
> simply allows to specify a separate texture for the interior surface of
> the object. ... snip ...

Yes. What Mike said. So long as the mesh normals are correctly defined you
can apply one texture to the inside and one to the outside, and this can be
a complex layered texture, if that's what you mean by a 'set of textures'.

If you mean a set of uv-mapped textures (map different textures to different
parts of the mesh) then I think you can only uv-map the outside surface.
There are still some 'tricks' you may be able to use to get round this
limitation if this is what you want to do.

Regards,
Chris B.