POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another thought on Intelligent Design : Re: Another thought on Intelligent Design Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another thought on Intelligent Design
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 13 Mar 2009 00:07:23
Message: <49b9dbfb$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> It is usually interpreted that "in his image"
>> means immortal, like God.
>
> OK. I find this interpretation dubious given that they were kicked out
> of the garden of eden lest they eat the tree of life and become
> immortal. But I'll not pursue this one farther, since I never really
> learned all those kinds of details myself.

Yes, well. I doubt it would help. The so called "experts" have more
waffling explanations as to which it is than we could ever come up with.

On a side note, recent research has shown that when "thinking about
god", we do so in the same way that we would think about, "What would
the neighbor do, if I took his news paper." I.e., we imagine what would
would do as such a thing, and draw attributions from that. Which is of
course, why gods never "reveal" to people things that contradict their
own prejudices, tell them to do things they didn't one some level want
to do, or otherwise add anything useful to the conversation. One might
as well be watching someone employ the so called "solicited
communication" method, by which people convince themselves that their
own "helping" of an autistic child is "really the child", and not, as
evidence shows, the parent/practitioner themselves expressing their own
"knowledge" and understanding through the medium.

In other words, the moment we went from general, "The other ape may
steal my food.", to, "I would steal his food, so he is probably plotting
to steal mine.", we "invented" god to fill in the gaps where the world
acted against or for us, as an explanation for why things seemed to
either go right, or wrong, for us. Call it, another nail in the coffin
of the idea that design was involved from something else's side of the
equation. ;)

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {