POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Good paper on non-ACID databases : Re: Server crashes (was: Good paper on non-ACID databases) Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Server crashes (was: Good paper on non-ACID databases)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 12 Mar 2009 19:03:23
Message: <49b994ba@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> It has been a well-solved problem for decades. Not trivial, but even your
> file system manages it nowadays, let alone something designed for crashes.

Are IIS and Exchange designed for crashes?

We're having power outage problems at work. It has always broken at least
one part of the server. Once it took Exchange down, we spent an hour or two
repairing the DB. Two other times it broke IIS (which Exchange depends on),
fixed by restoring a "metabase" backup. Another time it corrupted the DHCP
database (!), solved by dropping the DHCP service and creating it back...

Last night it decided to corrupt the registry. Today I stayed at work like
two hours more than I use to, and we didn't manage to make it *boot*.
Tomorrow will be hell. Designed for crashes?

We have a UPS since about two power outages ago. Looks like the UPS told
Windows to shut down, then for some reason cut power in the middle of the
shutdown process, making it even worse than without the UPS.

But I shall rant more about it on a separate thread...