POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Epic (and expensive) failure : Re: Epic (and expensive) failure Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:16:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Epic (and expensive) failure
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Mar 2009 12:10:35
Message: <49b933fb$1@news.povray.org>
>> Mmm, interesting. I had no idea starch was so great. Well, at least I
>> can still max out on pasta and potatoe wedges then! There's no way I'm
>> going to willingly eat slimy fish though. :-P
>
> There are lots of different types of fish, not all are slimy.

Perhaps. But the guidelines specifically call for slimey fish.

> Potato
> wedges are often not very healthy if they have been fried in bad stuff,
> check the packaging.

If we're making our own, usually vegetable oil. If they're bought... who
knows?

>> Well, at work I have cheese sandwiches. Given that there are no food
>> preparation facilities of any kind, I'm struggling to think what else
>> I could possibly eat. Crisps? That hardly seems like an improvement.
>
> I have no food preparation facilities here either, but there are much
> healthier things to eat than cheese sandwiches (I guess you are having
> white bread still, right?).

What can I say? White bread has a nicer texture. :-P

> First make sure you're eating brown bread
> and not white, then you can have soup with it

Mmm, cold soup... :-S

[Sure, I could use packet soup instead. But I fail to believe that
eating redydrated soup dust is more healthy than eating a cheese sandwich.]

> salad with chicken or tuna

Cold meat. Yay. :-/

> even just cutting out half the cheese and
> replacing it with some salad will be a good start.

Hey, why not just go the whole hog and eat bread on its own?

> If you prepare food
> in the evening then make a little more and take it to eat cold the next
> day if suitable (do you have a microwave at work?).

Don't have a microwave. The only thing we have is boiling water for
making tea.

>> I often have cheese on toast in the evening, but that's just because
>> there's usually no "real" food in the building.
>
> What, you're incapable of stopping in a supermarket on the way home from
> work?

I won't bore you with the political details. Suffice it to say that if I
was living by myself, it would be a total non-issue. I'd buy the food I
want to eat, and I'd eat it. The problem is my mother... Let's not even
go into that one.

>> When it's available, I tend to eat pizza (so... basically cheese then)
>> or cook some chicken. Or some other kind of meat. Or maybe just
>> noodles. (Not very filling though...)
>
> Get some of those big packets of frozen chopped up mixed vegetables from
> the supermarket, whilst not as good as the fresh stuff it's much faster
> to prepare and is almost as good.  Then throw a bit of chicken in the
> oven, boil some noodles/rice/pasta, heat up some tomoato-based sauce (or
> make your own if you are getting in to it) and you've got a really
> healthy, tasty and quick meal.

>> I spent 2 years of my life cycling over 2 hours per day. It made NO
>> DIFFERENCE at all.
>
> Perhaps because you weren't having a weight problem back then?

No, but you would have *thought* I'd get at least slightly fitter, no?

>> And let me tell you, each day I arrived at my destination *exhausted*.
>> Still it made no difference.
>
> But I bet at the end of the 2 years you could make that journey way
> faster than at the beginning, if not you are not human!

Travel time at the start of my course: 1.2 hours.
Travel time at the end of my course: 1.2 hours.

Nope. No measurable difference.

(Let us not even go into the fact that 1.2 hours to travel 4.6 miles is
an average speed of something like 5 MPH, which is pretty slow for a
bicycle...)

>> I agree. I'm a sprinter, I never could do long distances.
>
> It's just practise.  Do 1 minute longer each day, that's definitely
> possible to sustain for a few weeks, also don't start out sprinting,
> start out thinking you're going to sustain this for 30 minutes - it
> makes a difference.

I think the key here is to find something that I can realistically stick
at. I mean, currently I have barely enough time each evening to do the
stuff I *want* to do! So cutting out a huge chunk of that time to do
something mind-blowingly boring and probably futile isn't going to be easy.

>> Er, yeah, right. I know of people who have been doing that for decades
>> and still can't lose weight.
>
> While eating healthily the whole time? Don't believe you unless they
> have some medical condition.

Well, my mum seems to eat nothing _but_ dead plants. And she's still huge...

(It's quite amusing to be told "you eat so unhealthily, you're going to
get really ill" by a woman who eats nothing but supposedly "healthy"
food and is never the less criplingly unhealthy...)