POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My toy : Re: My toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My toy
From: Invisible
Date: 12 Mar 2009 05:07:59
Message: <49b8d0ef$1@news.povray.org>
>> Oooh... I'd LURVE to see that thing run 3.7 :D
>
> I'd have to wonder what kind of overhead you'd incur, though.
>
> In order to make it worthwhile, you would need something that was
> compute intensive, but light on the memory subsystem.  This might be a
> problem with threads writing their results to the main viewport.  The
> scene file itself, of course, could be held in read-only shared memory.
>
> I wonder, in the 3.7 source, does each thread have it's own framebuffer
> that gets reported back all at once, or do they report each pixel to the
> master framebuffer as they get processed?  From the way the tiles get
> displayed, I would assume the former.

I'm not 100% sure, but I *think* that Cray isn't even shared-memory. As
in, it behaves like several seperate servers in the same box, and you'd
need some kind of network protocol to communicate between the various
units. So running POV-Ray on it would be like running POV-Ray on a
cluster of networked PCs. You'd need the PVM mod or something.