POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension : Re: Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Mar 2009 01:35:10
Message: <49b89f0e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Or if we put it in other words: He seemed to be implying that if the
> attitude is that MS software is insecure, running Firefox on Windows to
> get more security (for the reason that MS software is insecure) is useless
> because it will be running on top of MS software. The second implication
> from this is that running FF is useless and you could just as well use IE.

That's funny, because that didn't seem to be to me what he was implying at
all. I, personally, run firefox primarily because IE is such a poster child
for insecure programming these last couple of years.

As a suggestion, if you're trying to figure out whether someone implied
something by stating something less extreme, it's often better to say
something like "are you suggesting that...?" instead of "so you're implying
that: ..."  The former is a request for clarification, while the latter
often comes across as ridicule or sarcasm in English, especially when the
latter is hyperbole.

Of course, on this list, some folks seem to take every opportunity to take
offense and read people in the worst possible way, regardless of intent. I
believe you've commented on this yourself. I'm not sure what the solution is
besides simply accepting that the first option should be to believe the
writer isn't implying the reader is stupid or evil if there's an alternate
interpretation.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)