POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension : Re: Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension
From: Chris Cason
Date: 11 Mar 2009 22:34:42
Message: <49b874c2@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> you can't afford to have a disabled extension in your firefox directories,

Just to clarify, as I presume you are implying (since clearly Warp made no
statement even slightly like this) that I made such claims:

  1. I have made statements that for security reasons I don't like risking
     having operational Microsoft extensions silently turn up in my FF install.

  2. I have at no time said I "cannot afford" to have a disabled extension.
     Any such implication is at most a distortion and possibly an outright lie.

  3. I have not stated that disabling the extension is insufficient.

  4. I have pointed out that it is not good that Microsoft disables the means
     of un-installing the extension.

  5. You have repeatedly claimed that it is my fault the plugin turned up
     because I ignored warnings, clicked through EULA's, or whatever.

  6. By your own admission you now agree the service pack doesn't present an
     EULA.

  7. At least one other poster in this thread has confirmed that no warning was
     given by FF that the plugin had been installed on his system. This is also
     the experience of the majority of the posts on this topic that I have read
     around the WWW, which while not in itself proof, certainly lends credence
     to my position.

Most of your time in this thread has been spent arguing that I was wrong in my
claims. Now it appears you are resorting to casting aspersions on the *reasons*
I don't like what Microsoft did.

-- Chris