POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My toy : Re: My toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My toy
From: Chambers
Date: 11 Mar 2009 21:53:35
Message: <49b86b1f$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/11/2009 7:19 AM, Mike Raiford wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
>> On 3/11/2009 2:15 AM, Invisible wrote:
>>> Where the hell do you buy something like that?! And what do you use it
>>> for??
>>
>> You use it for POV-Ray, of course! :)
>>

> Oooh... I'd LURVE to see that thing run 3.7 :D

I'd have to wonder what kind of overhead you'd incur, though.

In order to make it worthwhile, you would need something that was
compute intensive, but light on the memory subsystem.  This might be a
problem with threads writing their results to the main viewport.  The
scene file itself, of course, could be held in read-only shared memory.

I wonder, in the 3.7 source, does each thread have it's own framebuffer
that gets reported back all at once, or do they report each pixel to the
master framebuffer as they get processed?  From the way the tiles get
displayed, I would assume the former.

--
...Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com