POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Good paper on non-ACID databases : Re: Good paper on non-ACID databases Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:16:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Good paper on non-ACID databases
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Mar 2009 18:06:29
Message: <49b835e5$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> I'm just saying, it isn't that complex to accomplish "manually". You
> need an ACID database - it's just not that hard to build one if you can
> avoid making it general. The hard part of something like Oracle is not
> the ACID, but the ACID and high performance regardless of what you store
> on it. If you know what you're going to store and you code only the ACID
> properties you need (for example, hard-coded constraints instead of
> TRIGGER statements in SQL), it's pretty easy to do.

Personally, I take the view that something like Oracle is the product of
many man-centuries of R&D, designed, implemented and tested by more
experts than you can shake a stick at, and there is basically no way in
hell that anything I alone could design will ever come close to the
performance and reliability of a real DB product such as this. In fact,
I'd think I would probably have trouble just designing something that
produces *correct* results, never mind doing it fast.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/