POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Aptly XKCD : Aptly XKCD Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:14:29 EDT (-0400)
  Aptly XKCD
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Mar 2009 06:24:41
Message: <49b79169$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.xkcd.com/554/

Signs your System Administrator is under-employed:

"I just learned to program in PostScript in my lunch break. Just for the
hell of it. I also implemented several fractal generators with it and
locked up a colour laser printer for 20 minutes..."

"Ctrl+Alt+Del rocks!"

"I just spent the day learning to use Tcl."

"Did you know that you can design digital filters that use feedback to
generate an infinite impulse response by using the Z-transform? It's
based on the Laplace transform, which is an extension of the Fourier
transform. Amoung other things, the Laplace transform turns differential
equations into algebraic equations, making them far easier to solve."

"I can now solve a typical computer-generated Sudoku in under 15 minutes."

"Today I learned to program in a lazy, high-order, purely-functional
programming language with monadic I/O, parametric polymorphism, ad hoc
polymorphism based on typeclasses, and automatic type inferance."

"Somebody asked me to back up these PCs, so I designed a complex system
of scripts for scanning the drive for changed files, copying them back
to the server, and extensively logging what was done. Rather than, say,
install a BackupExec remote agent."

"Somebody asked for a program to build an empty set of project folders,
so I wrote a fully-interactive GUI application with progress bar and
extensive error-handling capabilities. And formally tested it."

"Today I learned how to use SKI combinator calculus to encode any lambda
function using only two predefined functions, thus producing a
Turing-complete system with only two symbols."

"I tried to learn to play Go, but the computer always beats me."

"I noticed some packet loss today, so I developed an automated network
surveylence tool that repeatedly pings a selection of remote hosts and
logs the results. I also build various log analysis tools."

"Some people on the Internet say I would do a PhD."

"Our Lab Director asks me to check mathematical formulas from books and
publications before he uses them."

"Today I build a simplified Prolog-style interpretter and distributed it
to a few people."

Feel free to add your own here...