POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid : Re: World Community Grid Server Time
5 May 2024 12:41:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 10 Mar 2009 23:59:42
Message: <49b7372e@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
>>     Minutes?
>>
>>     I'm not talking about fluorescent tubes...
>
> I'm talking about things like
> http://www.ipaa.org/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/cfl_bulb_mercury3.jpg
>
> I think it's actually the ballast that has to warm up, not the tube
> itself? Or maybe the mercury has to vaporize?  (The old "Mercury Vapor"
> lights take about 10 or 15 minutes to get fully bright.)

	Yeah - those are the ones. Mine seem to come on within a second.
Perhaps they _do_ get brighter over 10 minutes, but I don't notice it -
they're sufficiently bright when I turn them on.

	Are yours old (as in like a decade)? I only started using them about 6
or so years ago (and frankly, am not sure they're cheaper overall - they
die quicker than expected).

--
May your screen live long and phosphor.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z