POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid : Re: World Community Grid Server Time
5 May 2024 05:10:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 10 Mar 2009 15:36:36
Message: <49b6c144@news.povray.org>
Your doubts are perfectly reasonable, logicals, even I had them
when I firs saw FightAIDS@Home website, but, those doubts have no bases
when you refer to the WCG: you project gets evaluated before adding it
to the grid and I'm sure The WCG has some requirements for a project to
be valid.

      Besides you can check this yourself, the very first link I posted
in this thread leads you to the active projects with brief explanation,
with another click to the detailed explanation and with another one to
the website of the project, all project have their own website AFAIK.
There you can see that serious and with a career of trajectory the
professionals that form a project, sometimes large organizations like
the Scribbs Institute for FightAIDS@Home project, that excels in
biomolecular 3D modeling (and other genetic studies, they even have a
periodic newsletter for free that even I can understand (yeah, I'm
subscribed)) with patented software DONATED to The Grid to work on the
WCG client. You don't put 248.879 TeraFLOPS on a dumbass or mediocre
project, I imagine many complain with WCG that reject their projects.

      That is why I was angry before, because if people would visit the
links I provided, with a few clicks and 20 mins. tops you could
self-answer any and all question you can have about WCG projects and
grid computing.

      Plus, the WCG has DETAILED stats by any criterion (by devices (WCG
clients), by project, by team, by perior of time, etc.) individual and
global; profile, device and team managers (configurators). Also
concluded projects and future additions, each with detailed info about
the projects.

      At this point you realize that The WCG it's a beautiful place to
be if you always wanted to be participate in a serious and Humanitarian
disease-solving projects. I only have 1 PC (P4 HT 3.0 Ghz) but I wish I
could have another 5 more all doing nothing but running WCG Clients each
with 4 cores on the CPU at a gozillion Ghz. :-)

      You are right, most people would say no, I tried to get my
University to participate on it, but they cared little or nothing, no
WCG was ever installed. At my work some ran it for a few days, but it
was "too heavy" for P4s, I get to ran it on the File/App Server for
several months, I haven't received any work unit from it since last
month, even the server wasn't lagging at all (I installed FreeRAM XP
Pro, 512 MB DDR2-667), even everyone (11 people) accessed it (DELL
Server, PC style, no RAID) all day, everyday. Well, at least it was a
fast Server with Dual Core I got a nice number of results (2-4 per day).
I ran it also at my work PC and at my home too.

Cheers.