POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid : Re: World Community Grid Server Time
18 May 2024 14:47:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Mar 2009 14:24:20
Message: <49b6b054@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> My resolution is simple: Give some immediate benefit, however
> little, and you'll get a lot more people contributing (*).

Yes. But the benefit can be as simple as "Cool, I helped do that." I think
that's where the SETI bit came in - if someone actually found signals,
everyone who contributed could say "Gee, I helped with that."

Had the raw answers actually been published, I could have looked at it and
said "Cool, maybe in some years somebody will look at this and cure
something."  It would be a tangible result. As it is, the tangible result is
"the guys who freeloaded off you published a paper you don't get to read."

> I see a lot of volunteer effort with good intentions wasted
> on bad projects already.

I see a lot of good volunteer effort wasted on greedy people taking
advantage of it also. That's what I object to - when some charity calls me
on the phone, and I donate $25 to help homeless people, and the guys who
called on the phone take $23 of that to pay for making the phone calls. I'd
much rather just give the $25 to a homeless person.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)