POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid : Re: World Community Grid Server Time
18 May 2024 16:56:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Mar 2009 14:18:29
Message: <49b6aef5$1@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> It used to be, when they first came out. Nowadays they've gotten better,
>> and it's only a couple of minutes, or even close to instant.
>
> 	Minutes?
>
> 	I'm not talking about fluorescent tubes...

I'm talking about things like
http://www.ipaa.org/Blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/cfl_bulb_mercury3.jpg

I think it's actually the ballast that has to warm up, not the tube itself?
Or maybe the mercury has to vaporize?  (The old "Mercury Vapor" lights take
about 10 or 15 minutes to get fully bright.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)