POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension : Re: Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension
From: Darren New
Date: 9 Mar 2009 21:10:49
Message: <49b5be19$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> not like it's a root kit or something - before the first time it runs, you
>> get FF in your face telling you it has been installed, do you want to
>> configure it or disable it? Hardly "stealth."
>
> I've told you four times now. I was NOT asked or told. You are intentionally
> ignoring this.

I'm not ignoring *your* experience.  I'm telling you that *I* wasn't
surprised it was installed when I installed it.  What can I say?

I already offered at least three reasons why this might be so that isn't
calling you a liar.

In any case, did it bring up the "you installed new plug-ins" window when
you started firefox the next time?  If not, this sounds like a bug in
firefox as well.

I'm also trying to figure out why this is a problem at all. You install
software, part of the software is a plug-in for firefox, firefox now has a
plug-in. When I install software, part of it can be start menu shortcuts,
system libraries, new menus in my word processor, etc. I just don't see what
the problem is, really. It's not stealth, it's not something you can't
disable, it's not apparently breaking anything else. I wouldn't be surprised
if the exact same SP patched the click-once code that IE uses, but I don't
see anyone complaining about that. So I'm kind of at a loss there.

I can understand it wasn't mentioned other than "click-once functionality
improved" in the KB article, but the outrage seems way out of proportion.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)