POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid : Re: World Community Grid Server Time
5 May 2024 13:38:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 9 Mar 2009 13:26:24
Message: <49b55140$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> The microwave oven, however, is electronic. I haven't measured it, but
> it's rated at 900W. (I have no idea whether that means it uses 900W of
> juice, or just that it produces 900W of microwave energy.)

Conservation of energy would dictate that it would take at least 900W of
electricity to make 900W of microwave power.

At 240 volts, that's only ~4amps Obviously there are losses so it takes
more power to create the radio waves. Try hooking 2 microwaves to the
same breaker, and see how long before it pops. (Assuming your breakers
are 5A or 7.5A (rather than 15A like they are here, if they're 15A like
here, it'll take a couple more microwave ovens.) But, still, much less
than an electric stove.

>> Anyway, there is this problem that your PC may be on for periods much
>> longer that the washing machine.
>
> Like I said, playing CSS (which you're presume is a reasonably intensive
> task) for 2 hours solid used a fraction of one kWh. I don't know what it
> uses if I run the computer for an entire day (presumably it varies by
> the task I set it to do), but I imagine running the washing machine
> several times per day - or accidentally leaving the lights on - uses far
> more power.

I need to get one of those current meters and see how much power things
draw.

--
~Mike