POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid : Re: World Community Grid Server Time
5 May 2024 08:35:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid
From: Warp
Date: 9 Mar 2009 13:10:37
Message: <49b54d8d@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > OK, I rephrase: I personally have yet to see a "white" LED that wasn't
> > actually pale blue.

> That's because you're used to "normal" light bulbs that are very very yellow
> (just try taking a photo indoors with the camera on "outdoor" setting and
> you'll see what I mean).  It's not that LED manufacturers can't make this
> colour, it's just there is no demand for it (backlights for LCDs need a much
> bluer white than normal light bulbs).  If you want to make a yellower colour
> yourself then you can make your own yellow phosphor to put on a blue LED, or
> just place some yellow LEDs around the white ones :-)

  The main problem with "white" leds is that they are not white. They emit
a set of very narrow frequency spectra, which might fool the eye to believe
it's white, but since it's not, it kills colors. Everything lighted by them
will look pale and colorless because the led is simply not emitting light
at almost any frequency (only very narrow peaks in the frequency spectrum
here and there).

--
                                                          - Warp