POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid : Re: World Community Grid Server Time
5 May 2024 05:54:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid
From: scott
Date: 9 Mar 2009 08:23:20
Message: <49b50a38@news.povray.org>
> How about sunlight? Is that yellow too? (I mean, by the time it reaches
> the ground.)

It's really difficult to say, as everything to do with "white" is relative
and your brain does a really good job of filtering out changes in white
balance of your environment.

Here's a chart I found detailing the sunlight spectrum:

http://org.ntnu.no/solarcells/pics/chap2/Solar_Spectrum.png

You tell me if that's "yellow" or not :-)

> Heh. The trouble is the light in my room ("energy saving bulb") gives off
> such a pinky yellowy colour that I can't actually tell whether an item of
> clothing is blue or black. :-P

That's not so much to do with the absolute colour of the white light, but
with the spectrum.  If you have two monochromatic light sources from a
yellowy-red laser and a blue laser you can make white light.  THe problem is
when you try to illuminate something with that white light, the only thing
you will see is how well the object reflects those particular two laser
wavelengths.  On the other hand, white light from a black body gives you a
much better impression of the "colour" of an object because it consists of
visible light from all wavelengths.  There's a thing called "colour
rendering index" (CRI) that describes this quality of white light.