POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid : Re: World Community Grid Server Time
26 Apr 2024 21:13:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Mar 2009 05:35:08
Message: <49b4e2cc@news.povray.org>
>> Switch to compact fluorescents. A 26W one should provide as much light
>> as a 100W one.
>
> LEDs are the way forward, they are more efficient (and getting more
> efficient the whole time) and more environmentally friendly (they don't
> contain mercury) and fix almost all of the disadvantages CFLs have.
> Just wait...

I don't know about CFLs, but our house has several "energy saving"
lighting units. The problem is, there's a 20 minute delay between
turning them on and being able to see where you're going...

LEDs are indeed efficient, but the main problems currently seem to be
making "white" light with them, and illuminating large areas.