POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 31: Crackle problem : Re: Beta 31: Crackle problem Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:11:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 31: Crackle problem
From: Chris Cason
Date: 9 Mar 2009 05:16:04
Message: <49b4de54$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> If memory is allocated in chunks, then maybe a command-line parameter to
> set the chunk size would be useful for testing until an optimum solution

The work I've just done brought me more or less to the conclusion that we
do need a way to allow users to provide performance hints to the renderer.
There are a number of places - particularly crackle cache - where we could
benefit from the user letting the renderer know whether they care more
about memory than speed. It's not really something we can guess in advance.

-- Chris