POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : World Community Grid : Re: World Community Grid Server Time
26 Apr 2024 16:13:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: World Community Grid
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 8 Mar 2009 19:25:52
Message: <49b453ff@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> somebody wrote:
>> In short, just turn off your PC at night and donate part of the savings
>> to your favourite research. It would probably be more beneficial for all.
>
> I saw one scientist who said he stopped renting time on Cray computers and
> bought 8 videogame computers (PS3s? The one with the "cell" cores) to do
> his computing, and he got better performance than the thousands-per-month
> he was spending on mainframe supercomputing.

I was once able render POV-Ray animations on a thousand computers using the
same software World Community Grid uses. Without paying anything more than
electricity and Internet for my own PC. If the cost of electricity for
those computers was stupidly high, *I don't care*, I wasn't paying it :D

And either way, 99% of the people who joined my POV-Ray'ing project were
already doing distributed computing, so if I hadn't done that, they would
have used the same amount of electricity; computing something else.

PS: yes, it's PS3s that have Cell processors.