POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Standard libraries : Re: Standard libraries Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Standard libraries
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Mar 2009 19:06:09
Message: <49b44f61$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>>> It doesn't.
>> Then the traceback in your exceptions can't tell you the values, can it?
>
> Exceptions have no "traceback" directly visible at runtime from inside the
> code.

That's what I was saying.

> You can use platform-specific code in an exception handler to get a
> stack trace (by following stack pointers).

And that's what I asked - what would I google on to see this, given it's not
defined in exception.h?  What's it called?

> When an application crashes, the crash handler *attaches* a debugger to the
> just-segfaulted app, loads the debugging symbols from a different file,
> gets a stacktrace, and lets the crashed app die and R.I.P.

Of course, it helps that it's crashing, instead of trying to actually do
something about the problem, I suppose.  And that most systems will have a
debugger installed already.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)