POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Standard libraries : Re: Standard libraries Server Time
9 Oct 2024 14:37:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Standard libraries
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 8 Mar 2009 18:01:35
Message: <49b4403e@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>> Darren New wrote:
>>> I wasn't aware C++ even defined tracebacks on exceptions.
>>
>> It doesn't.
>
> Then the traceback in your exceptions can't tell you the values, can it?

Exceptions have no "traceback" directly visible at runtime from inside the
code. You can use platform-specific code in an exception handler to get a
stack trace (by following stack pointers).

>>> How does one access that feature?
>> Through your debugger :)
>
> I don't really want to tell my customers to run my production code under a
> debugger and copy/paste the traceback into the logfile before sending it
> to me.

KDE has a crash handler similar to Windows's, except it can't automatically
send the report back to the developer. It gives you a stacktrace, including
all the function parameters, and lets you save the file to upload to the
bug tracker.

When an application crashes, the crash handler *attaches* a debugger to the
just-segfaulted app, loads the debugging symbols from a different file,
gets a stacktrace, and lets the crashed app die and R.I.P.