POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 31: Crackle problem : Re: Beta 31: Crackle problem Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 31: Crackle problem
From: Bob
Date: 8 Mar 2009 15:30:01
Message: <49b41cb9$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote in
message news:49b3e818$1@news.povray.org...

> The problem is basically that the cache is memory-intensive, and
> allocating
> memory during render is something we really like to avoid, as it requires
> locking; the more threads, the more contention for the lock.
>
> I've just spent some time playing with this and have improved the
> performance somewhat by using memory pools, but it's still not as fast

Anything would be an improvement... this was causing a drastic slowing! But
what I wouldn't have expected was the AA seemingly triggering it.

I was looking for signs of something in the render stats and at first
thought it was showing up in the doubling, tripling or more, of numbers
(rays tested, crackle cache, etc.) when using AA versus without. That is,
until I realized it's the same way regardless of thread count. Just hadn't
occurred to me AA alone makes the stat numbers jump.

This thing about memory usage you tell of makes sense to me, even if I don't
understand the real workings, so I'm just glad to hear there's a reason
behind this particular slowdown instead of something wrong elsewhere. Yet
the other slowdowns concerning thread count act like memory trouble, to me
anyhow, so I'm thinking that would be great if somehow a revelation occurs
from your work on the crackle fix (wishful thinking or not).

Reading a little about threads and memory pools just now (google searched)
is interesting, and confusing. Maybe not as problematic as it sounds, eh?
;)

Bob