POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension : Re: Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Warning: Microsoft silently installing firefox extension
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Mar 2009 16:26:14
Message: <49b2e676$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   So you are saying that the article at
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-600 is lying when it says
> "without asking your permission"?

Not necessarily. I'm saying *I* got asked permission. The EULA when I
downloaded SP1 mentioned it. When firefox started up afterwards, it asked me
if I wanted to install stuff without asking, with a default of "no". Firefox
always pops up a window when you start it saying what new extensions it has
installed, so it's not like you can miss it.

Now, maybe between this blog post being posted and my personally getting
.NET SP1, Microsoft changed the EULA or something.  I wasn't surprised by
it, nor was it ever in a state where I would randomly install clickonce
software without being prompted. Maybe it's just because I was paying more
attention and I knew what the technical terms meant.

Out of curiosity, would you be upset if a windows update upgraded IE or
Office to work with the latest version of click-once software?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)