POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Standard libraries : Re: Standard libraries Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Standard libraries
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Mar 2009 16:14:31
Message: <49b2e3b7$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   At least you dare to admit it.
>
>> Sure. I've never hesitated to express my dislike of hacks, even when I
>> recognise them as necessary hacks.
>
>   I said that "at least you admit that you are biased". I didn't say that
> "at least you admit you dislike something". But of course you seem quite
> fluent at twisting things.

Sure. I'm biased against ugly half-ass hacks. I never disputed that. :-)

If the ugly half-ass hacks let you do something you couldn't otherwise do,
that's a redeeming feature. That was why I brought up Python - their ugly
half-ass hacks let you do things you can't easily do without them, hooking
into the bowels of the scope/name resolution at runtime. It's hacky and I
can't help but believe inefficient, but it lets you implement things you
couldn't otherwise implement easily.

That's why I asked why a lambda in C++ is better than just coding the body
in the for loop - I don't see that it gains you anything, and I was
wondering what you'd code differently.

>   You are being an unusually bad jerk in this thread for some reason. Not
> your usual self. I'm curious what prompted your sudden holy war now.
> Bad day?

Heh. Sorry if I'm coming across strong. I'm having a good day actually. And
I honestly appreciate you asking. And yea, ok, the "grow up already"
statement was probably unnecessarily harsh. I was a little peeved that you'd
take a perfectly reasonable question and attribute malice to it.

I think it might be that (1) this is the first time I've bashed C++ since I
actually sat down and learned it in detail, so it has been a number of weeks
or months, and (2) you're accusing me of being prejudiced without apparently
accusing me of being wrong.  I don't have to know the details of how C++
implements lambdas to know they're not going to add GC to C++ in order to
support them, yes?

I 100% honestly think you're taking things personally that aren't being
personally directed at you. I haven't said you're foolish to use C++ or
anything else directed at you.  I simply said C++ sucks in certain ways, and
it seems counter-intuitive to me why people as smart as those standardizing
C++ would add features like lambdas with no obvious benefit compared to the
pitfalls you have to avoid when you use them.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)