POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Standard libraries : Re: Standard libraries Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Standard libraries
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Mar 2009 16:05:39
Message: <49b2e1a3$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   You are not discussing. You are bashing based on prejudice.

I think it's fair to say it isn't prejudice that the philosophy of C++ is
that you don't pay for features where you don't use them. I'll admit the
syntax seems much cleaner than I thought it would be, because I assumed
they'd be doing something like Boost. However, C++ still doesn't have lambda
expressions, and I'm rather at a loss why the people working on the
standards called it that, since they aren't lambdas and they *didn't*
include "lambda" as a keyword.

I gave examples of actual code that works in any language that has lambdas,
and you tell me I'm not discussing C++ and that I'm prejudice. It sounds
more like you're prejudice than me, really, defending C++ for some reason
without actually offering any evidence I'm wrong. If I'm prejudiced and
right, what does it matter that I'm prejudiced?

C++ sucks to the extent that you don't pay runtime overhead for features
where you don't use them. This philosophy leads to a great number of warts
on the language (such as delete vs delete[], & references vs && references,
undefined behavior with non-virtual destructors in some cases, that static
initializations aren't done in a reliable order, etc.). I can understand
these warts, because they're focussed on performance and/or make the
compiler writer's job easier (and hence make the language easier to
implement and port).

The syntax also sucks, to a great extent due to the lame attempt to remain
compatible with a different language they're already incompatible with. Had
every C program actually been a valid C++ program with the same semantics,
this might have made sense, but they failed to ensure this too.

I think the fact that I came to different conclusions than you do don't make
it prejudice. I'm willing to learn, but if you can't tell me where I'm
wrong, then telling me I'm bashing based on prejudice doesn't help.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)