POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Standard libraries : Re: Standard libraries Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Standard libraries
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Mar 2009 00:42:25
Message: <49b20941$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> C++ has always evolved by the exact opposite, by going from a simple C with
> Objects preprocessor to a Java/C# wannabe now and everything in-between
> (Haskell, Python etc).

Which might not be so bad, except for the insistence that they add no actual
runtime support for any of it. So every feature is implemented half-assed,
with the other butt-cheek left to the programmer to fill in, lest you wind
up with a program that sits crooked.  And heaven forbid any actual useful
application-level libraries be standardized. :-)

> There's only one other language that also evolves by continual absorption.  That
> being Perl, which still hasn't got anywhere near complete in the 6th revision,
> started about 1 decade ago.  It's hard to keep up with all that barroque
> counterpoint.

Yeah, I don't like Perl either. ;-)

On the other hand, I've decided that Python 3.x has finally surpassed Tcl in
terms of the capabilities that I use on a normal daily basis. It finally
supports unicode cleanly, multithreading, event programming, multiple
embedded interpreters, wrapped scripts, and so on. It actually does a lot
more than Tcl, and did, but it was missing some of my must-have features
which is now has in 3.x.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)