POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Debian : Re: Debian Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Debian
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 4 Mar 2009 14:10:51
Message: <49aed23b$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   If one would have to choose one reason why to recommend OpenSUSE over
> any other distro, that one reason would very definitely be YaST.

Seems reasonable.

>   I have to admit I have no experience on how system configuration and
> software management is handles in other distros, but I don't remember ever
> reading about tools similar to YaST in other distros. Usually all I have
> read are about command-line tools like apt-get and rpm.

>   AFAIK you can do the same things with apt-get or rpm as you can do
> with YaST's package manager, but it just is so much easier when you can
> browse search results in a graphical user interface, select what you want
> to install, uninstall or update by clicking on checkboxes, read package
> descriptions while browsing, etc. etc.

There are tools like Aptitude and Synaptic that let you do package
management with a pretty GUI on other distros. But I haven't come across
anything quite like YaST - it's not just a package manager, it's a
complete system configuration tool. It configures (almost) everything.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/