POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Debian : Re: Debian Server Time
9 Oct 2024 14:32:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Debian
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Mar 2009 13:12:58
Message: <49aec4aa$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:56:27 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> And technically - very technically - the SUSE distributions are
>> Slackware derivatives - but with RPM for package management instead of
>> Slack's tgz- based package management (unless that's changed, I've not
>> followed Slack in a while).
>
>   SUSE was derived from Slackware something like 17 years ago, and has
> gone through 11 major versions (some of them quite drastic), so I would
> say that it's pretty safe to say that there's almost nothing left of
> Slackware in OpenSUSE by now...

As both an openSUSE user and a Novell employee, I can't disagree with
anything you said there.  That's why I said "technically" it's a
derivation, IIRC the original intent was to provide a German translation
of Slack.

Probably some of the filesystem structure is about all that would be
left, and much of that was probably taken from Slack (and other distros)
and put into the file system standard that's common.

There are a few differences in the filesystem from RedHat (for example) -
the init.d structure is a little different (or it was when I switched
from RH9 to SUSE Pro 9.1).

Jim