POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : GPU usage : Re: GPU usage Server Time
15 May 2024 12:12:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU usage
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 4 Mar 2009 11:43:59
Message: <49aeafcf@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> The problem is that GPUs, in their current form, are great for
> processing triangles but not much else.

I have to desagree, Ihave seen examples on some web pages how the GPU
beat the crap out of a CPU (FPU included) on certain calculations, I was
reading about "GPUs as a powerful co-processor" or something like that.
Those calculations were prety complex for 3D geometry solving and other
stuff I don't recall well, was like a year or so ago.

As someone mentioned there is a version of Human Proteome Folding -
Phase 2 for GPU processing, alsmost none CPU/FPU usage.

> POV-Ray, on the other hand, uses a wide variety of geometric primitives.

The preview would be as i wrote on another post on this thread a rough
rough "preview" and not a mini/fast rendering,  if not all POV-Ray
features can be "previewed" then only what it can, *and* a on the status
mini-window saying what was previewed and what not, in short, I think
the preview has to be a "glance window".

> There *was* a version floating around that did a tessellated preview
> using OpenGL.  While functional, it never really caught on (AFAIK, the
> prevailing method of a quick preview is to #declare several identifiers
> specifying quality levels at the head of your main .pov file).

A begining...