POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Debian : Re: Debian Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Debian
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Mar 2009 04:29:30
Message: <49ae49fa$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:

> Debian is geared, as Slackware, to *nix-seasoned people.  Even though it's not
> half as tough as it used to be before Gnome and KDE desktops, solely on the
> command-line.
>
> Novell Suse and Ubuntu are 2 well regarded, layman-geared Linux distros.  Ubuntu
> is a Debian-derivative.

Well, I started out with RedHat. But that was waaaay back in the days
where to run Linux, you needed to know what chipset your motherboard had
and how to manually program IRQ numbers and stuff.

I quickly grew tired of that, and eventually gave up on the whole Linux
trip.

A while later, I used Debian. (Potato, IIRC.) It really was a pain to
set up. (dselect is a horrid, horrid monstrosity!) Package management
was always a nightmare; you'd think it would be "easy" to tell the
installer "hey, I've got the 5 standard CDs here; please use all the
repositories they contain". But no...

While we're on the subject, I also tried running Debian on my Amiga
1200. JESUS that was slow! >_< So much for "Linux is faster". :-P

I used openSUSE for a while. (Indeed, my dad *bought* a boxed set of
disks, with a manual and stuff...) I quite liked it.

Most recently, I have Ubuntu set up on my laptop. It's not very pretty
to look at, but it seems to work just fine.

Then again, I judge a Linux distro by how pretty it looks, how easy it
is to make the installer do what you want it to do, and how easily I can
make it install the software I want. (And also the quality or otherwise
of the Mahjong game is comes with.)