POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Debian : Re: Debian Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Debian
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Mar 2009 04:14:03
Message: <49ae465b$1@news.povray.org>
>> Tried OpenSUSE. (My dad is still using it, in fact.) I quite like YaST
>> (especially the way you can run it without needing X). The latest
>> version seems to have done away with the "minimal text-mode install".
>> (Or at least, it's not very "minimal" any more!)
>
> It's still there.  I've run that install myself a few times - it might be
> under the "custom" options where the DE selection is made.

I used it to set up an old brick laptop and run it as a print server
once. (Basically I had a printer that can only be connected via USB.
Plugged it into a laptop, plugged the laptop into the network, operate
the laptop by SSH. Works great!) And since YaST can be operated in
text-mode, I was able to control it using simple SSH. (I.e., I didn't
have to figure out how to tunnel VNC over SSH or anything weird.)

As I recall, the "minimal text mode" install gave you the barest minimum
to have a working system. It seems now there's a "text mode server"
option, but it still installs a whole crapload of stuff. I was trying to
set up a VM and I wanted the install that would take the least amount of
time. It didn't work too well...

>> (Although I must say, I'm never really sure
>> what the actual *difference* is between releases of Linux distros -
>> apart from the artwork usually being slightly different.)
>
> That's what the changelogs are for - to tell you what's new.  And the
> readme files. ;-)

Where do you *find* that stuff though??