POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 31: Crackle problem : Re: Beta 31: Crackle problem Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:35:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 31: Crackle problem
From: Bob
Date: 3 Mar 2009 21:32:32
Message: <49ade840@news.povray.org>
I should also mention, now that I've checked, that number of threads makes a
difference as well.
Much closer comparison if using only one thread instead of two, being 125%
render time (slower) of the current beta compared to the test version while
AA is on (default).

Please keep in mind this is only after a short time trying it in a very
simple test scene: primitives on plane, all using same crackle pigment and
normal.

Whether or not this is related to other one/two work threads slowdowns I've
had happen is something I can't guess about, of course. Would be great if
you, Chris, or somebody could discover if a problem exists with these
programming thread bugaboos. Of course, I still consider being able to use
more than 1 thread a luxury not a necessity... and it usually helps to use
+WT2 with my dual core CPU anyway for most renders, so I'm not going to
complain.
:)
AMD Turion 64 X2
Bob H.