POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 31: Crackle problem : Re: Beta 31: Crackle problem Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 31: Crackle problem
From: Bob
Date: 3 Mar 2009 21:06:46
Message: <49ade236$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote in
message news:49ad190e@news.povray.org...
> Could some folks please try:
>
>  http://www.povray.org/temp/pvengine32-sse2.zip
>
> and check for (a) crackle problems, and (b) crackle speed compared with
> past versions?

Thanks for putting this one out to test.

It *looks* fixed, for me anyhow in the few ways I tried it.

Render speed is another matter. Without AA the two seem similar enough until
AA is applied and then I get a multiple longer render time. Like a 4X or 5X
change when just using crackle pigment and normal without any other
parameters (no solid, metric, offset), although different types of crackle
are also similar in this difference in render times if using AA versus
without.

Hopefully this doesn't mean antialiased crackle-containing renders will
always be slow considering how the broken version could be so fast. Wish I
had a clue why so I could help figure it out. Got to be something
interesting going on with it.
; )
Bob H.