POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Debian : Re: Debian Server Time
9 Oct 2024 08:25:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Debian
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 3 Mar 2009 14:55:35
Message: <49ad8b37$1@news.povray.org>
>> No. But I was under the impression that Debian is a popular distro.
>> Apparently it isn't. Maybe I need to try something that really is
>> regarded as user-friendly...
>>
>> (Although I must say, I typically base my opinions of a distro on how
>> pretty the default graphics are, and how easy it is to operate the
>> installer.)
>
> Then, as stated before, try openSUSE or Ubuntu.

Tried OpenSUSE. (My dad is still using it, in fact.) I quite like YaST
(especially the way you can run it without needing X). The latest
version seems to have done away with the "minimal text-mode install".
(Or at least, it's not very "minimal" any more!)

I'm currently using Ubuntu on my laptop. It's a really dull shade of
brown. (There's probably a way to change that.) I find it slightly odd
that each version has a silly name. I'm currently using Hardy Heron. I'm
about to try Intrepid Ibex. (Although I must say, I'm never really sure
what the actual *difference* is between releases of Linux distros -
apart from the artwork usually being slightly different.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/