POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My toy : Re: My toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My toy
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 3 Mar 2009 14:42:51
Message: <49ad883b@news.povray.org>
>>> No, it's not. DL380G5 on 2U in size.
>> Really? It seems to be the same size as all the other 1U equipment.
>> (Unless I got the model number wrong or something...)
>
> Really :). I've installed 6 DL380G5's and 1 DL385G2 (which is pretty
> common to DL380G5, just with AMD technology) within 2 weeks. There
> usually are little triangles at racks, 2U has two of them and six square
> holes within its size.

Hmm, OK. Maybe I was wrong then... :-S

>> It's more that it seems to be fixed in place, and you seem to need a
>> surprising amount of force to get it to move.
>
> Well yes, it's a bit tricky at first, but not *that* hard.
>
>> OTOH, putting it *back* was way harder...
>
> True :). But when you find the way, it just click to its place.

More like, it makes a loud *snap* - as in "OMG, I think I broke it!"

...or, maybe I *did* break it?? o_O

>> Well, there's a little catch that's supposed to make the arm stop and
>> retain it in place. But it's so flimsy the arm easily rides over the top
>> of it. :-/
>
> True.

The Dell arm has a bracket that's the full height of the arm. No way
it's going to ride over that. It also has sprung-loaded folding clips to
hold the cables, rather than (non-reusable) cable straps like HP supply.

>> (The fun part was that you can "invert" the arm, so it doesn't look like
>> in the drawings. Took ages to figure that one out - especially as the
>> springs hold it in a position that looks different to the manual.)
>
> True, it's a bit tricky at first (am I repeating myself?), but when you
> get it sorted out, it's ok.

Heh. I just love the way I spent ages strapping down all the cables, and
*then* noticed the power cable anchors in the box... ;-)

>>> Processor Power Module. It regulates the power for the processor (that's
>>> why it's 80% heatsink).
>> Um... OK. That's pretty weird tho.
>
> Why? That way it's replaceable, if it should ever break down.

Yeah, but... why do you need to regulate this at all? Why does it need
to be a seperate device? And why does it get so hot?? (Also, why do no
other computers have these?)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/