POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My toy : Re: My toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My toy
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 3 Mar 2009 14:34:32
Message: <49ad8648$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> - 1U rack-mount form factor. (It's bloody heavy BTW.)
>>
>> No, it's not. DL380G5 on 2U in size.
>
> Really? It seems to be the same size as all the other 1U equipment.
> (Unless I got the model number wrong or something...)

Really :). I've installed 6 DL380G5's and 1 DL385G2 (which is pretty
common to DL380G5, just with AMD technology) within 2 weeks. There
usually are little triangles at racks, 2U has two of them and six square
holes within its size.

> It's more that it seems to be fixed in place, and you seem to need a
> surprising amount of force to get it to move.

Well yes, it's a bit tricky at first, but not *that* hard.

> OTOH, putting it *back* was way harder...

True :). But when you find the way, it just click to its place.

> Well, there's a little catch that's supposed to make the arm stop and
> retain it in place. But it's so flimsy the arm easily rides over the top
> of it. :-/

True.

> (The fun part was that you can "invert" the arm, so it doesn't look like
> in the drawings. Took ages to figure that one out - especially as the
> springs hold it in a position that looks different to the manual.)

True, it's a bit tricky at first (am I repeating myself?), but when you
get it sorted out, it's ok.

> We tried an older version, but it didn't like our Windows CD. (The CD
> contains Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and Windows
> 2000 Professional on the same CD. It seemed to not like that.)

Ah yes, I think it needs the "real" CD at hand (or an ISO image, for
that matter).

>>> PS. What *the hell* is a "PPM"? And why is it 80% heatsink??
>>
>> Processor Power Module. It regulates the power for the processor (that's
>> why it's 80% heatsink).
>
> Um... OK. That's pretty weird tho.

Why? That way it's replaceable, if it should ever break down.

-Aero