POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My toy : Re: My toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:21:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My toy
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 3 Mar 2009 13:12:18
Message: <49ad7302@news.povray.org>
>> - 1U rack-mount form factor. (It's bloody heavy BTW.)
>
> No, it's not. DL380G5 on 2U in size.

Really? It seems to be the same size as all the other 1U equipment.
(Unless I got the model number wrong or something...)

>> - When mine arrived, I had to open it up and install the optional extras
>> myself. In particular, it is highly non-obvious how to remove the air
>> baffle. (And I don't want to break a £4,000 server in five minutes!) I
>> had to install the second CPU and the second pair of RAM boards.
>
> You grab a hold on the baffle and take it out upwards. Yes, you'll need
> to sort out the SAS cables and possibly RAID-controllers battery, but
> it's no big deal.

It's more that it seems to be fixed in place, and you seem to need a
surprising amount of force to get it to move.

OTOH, putting it *back* was way harder...

> Yes, the installation tool sucks. I've always removed the processor from
> it and installed the proc by hand.

Heh. Damned thing...

>> WHAT THE HELL MORE DO YOU WANT?!?!! >_<
>
> Free tea? :)

LOL! That's about all that's missing...

>> ...although, having just said all that, the cable arm isn't as nice as
>> the Dell one. It's a bit flimsy, and bends in planes it shouldn't.
>
> Is it attached properly? It is flimsy if it's attached poorly, but
> pretty good when properly in place.

Well, there's a little catch that's supposed to make the arm stop and
retain it in place. But it's so flimsy the arm easily rides over the top
of it. :-/

(The fun part was that you can "invert" the arm, so it doesn't look like
in the drawings. Took ages to figure that one out - especially as the
springs hold it in a position that looks different to the manual.)

>> Also,
>> the automated installer doesn't support Windows 2000 Server, which is
>> what the company IT department wanted me to use. Wasted a few hours on
>> that one. But that's about all I can actually find to complain about.
>
> Try 7-series Smartstart:

We tried an older version, but it didn't like our Windows CD. (The CD
contains Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and Windows
2000 Professional on the same CD. It seemed to not like that.)

>> PS. What *the hell* is a "PPM"? And why is it 80% heatsink??
>
> Processor Power Module. It regulates the power for the processor (that's
> why it's 80% heatsink).

Um... OK. That's pretty weird tho.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/