POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My toy : Re: My toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My toy
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Mar 2009 11:09:30
Message: <49ad563a$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> The hard part is figuring out how to draw the graphics on screen
>
> Choose a language / IDE / API that gives you easy access to graphics?

Does one exist?

>> Usually you have to mutilate your program to fit the window manager's
>> event loop...
>
> Don't see how, if you have written functions like:
> MouseClicked(int xpixel , int ypixel)
> RedrawScreen()
> etc.

Typically you have to register callbacks with the GUI system, and then
call a "main loop" function which calls your callbacks when it feels
like it. Which is great if you just want something to happen when the
user presses a button, but becomes problematic if you want things to
happen while the user isn't pressing anything. (E.g., if you wanted to
do something compute-bound, now the GUI stops responding until the
compute task finishes.)

> BTW why don't you just do a text based version?

Because that wouldn't be very exciting?

What I'd really like to have a go at is Mahjong... but that would be
absurdly hard.