POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My toy : Re: My toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My toy
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Mar 2009 08:14:28
Message: <49ad2d34$1@news.povray.org>
>> If you're making something like an LCD mounting bracket, do you
>> actually do a detailed simulation for that component?
>
> Only if it's in a place where someone could grab hold of it and tug it.

Figures.

> It has to be able to withstand somebody grabbing hold of it and pulling
> to help themselves out of the car, in that case the metal is much
> thicker and we run finite element simulations to check.

How long does it take to do a computer simulation to check that
something won't break? How complicated is the process, and how much
computer time does it take?

> It's further
> complicated because during an accident if someone hits the display it
> must collapse backwards and not be rigid, so you kind of need 1-way
> strength :-)

So... corrugated? Or something.

>> Or do you just do "OK, well we're using 0.3 mm steel for the rest of
>> the frame, so let's use 0.3 mm steel"? (And change it if it turns out
>> to be too weak...)
>
> For most other things, yes, or just based on our experience from the 100
> other LCDs we've made over the last 10 years.

Heh, yeah. I guess if you've made something similar before it helps a
lot. ;-) I was just thinking, I imagine for "most" manufactured items,
the designers probably have a basic intuition about roughly what
thickness of metal is required. I don't suppose they do an exhaustive
mathematical derrivation of optimal thickness for every single component
ever designed.

> On a recent project we
> had to change from 0.3 to 0.4 mm metal after some clips that were
> designed by the customer were not strong enough.  Nobody tested for this
> or simulated it, but to be honest there is no need as things like that
> always show up in the early samples before we get anywhere near making
> the mass production tools.

Right. So you take an educated guess, and if the prototypes fall apart,
you figure out which bit broke?

>> The fun thing is if you want to ran GHC on an unsupported platform.
>> This apparently involves asking GHC to compile itself into ANSI C, and
>> then using a suitable C compiler for the target platform to produce a
>> working binary.
>
> And I guess the C compiler can be cross-compiled on a pre-existing
> platform.

Almost every platform known to man already has a C compiler - even if it
has nothing else. The C compiler is typically the very first thing that
gets built. ;-)

Itanium? Yep, that has a C compiler. UltraSPARC? Yeah, C compiler.