POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My toy : Re: My toy Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My toy
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Mar 2009 11:37:20
Message: <49ac0b40$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

>> Mine is configured like this:
>>
>> - Dual redundant PSUs.
>> - 2x quad-core Xeons at 2.0 GHz. (Yes, you read correctly. That's 8
>> cores in total.)
>> - 4x 1 GB RAM (i.e., 4 GB RAM on two channels.)
>> - 6x SAS 72 GB HDs spinning at 10,000 RPM. (Configured as two RAID-1
>> arrays with one hot spare and one cold spare.)
>
> Sounds like a nice piece of kit.

Yep.

Since our existing server died, we needed a replacement. The daft thing
is, the application it's running is due to be replaced "any day soon".
(But that has been the case for a very long time now, so...)

The guy who ordered the replacement for me joked about "well, maybe
it'll make a nice Quake server for you when we're done with it". I'd
kinda like to delude myself that he was serious... but I rather doubt

months' time. Realistically... not gonna happen! :-(

 From memory, the old server looked like this:

- Dual redundant PSUs.
- 2x Pentium III 1.0 GHz. (Oi! Stop laughing.)
- 1 GB RAM.
- 4x 36 GB Ultra160 SCSI HDs (RAID-5), internal, not hot-swap.
- Floor-standing. (And *really* freakin' heavy!!)