POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mr. _____ is dead! : Re: Mr. _____ is dead! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mr. _____ is dead!
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 2 Mar 2009 11:21:05
Message: <49ac0771$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> Which is most of them in my experience.  Being on the DNC list and
> receiving a dozen calls a week or so from various organisations may mean
> that my incidence of legitimate calls is abnormally low (because there
> are very few actual legitimate calls that are permitted by law to come
> through in the first place).

What I have experienced is companies posing as something they're not.
I.e. they've named themselves in such a way that a naïve person may
believe they really are their current credit card company, or they hold
an expiring warranty on their car.

I once asked "What car?" they responded by hanging up on me. Hmmm.
Something's rotten, for sure.

I had an exchange with "Credit card services" that went as follows:

Me: What company are you with?
Them: Credit Card Services.
M: I know you're credit card services, but credit card services for
which company?
T: Credit card services.
M: Sooooo... your company is named Credit card services?
T: Yes
M: That seems a bit misleading, doesn't it?
T: >click<

Again: Hmmmmm... .I smell a rat for sure. Both of these had the balls to
call my cell phone in addition to my home phone. I traced the calls on
my home phone and forwarded the results to law enforcement. The
detective was aware of what they were doing, but they were operating
overseas, and were well out of their jurisdiction.

These are about the only telemarketers we get. Although I do
occasionally get a marketing call from a company I have done business
with before.  I usually just ask them not to contact me for sales calls,
then don't hear from them again.

--
~Mike