POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Gah! Thank god I use RAID 1.. : Re: Gah! Thank god I use RAID 1.. Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:14:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gah! Thank god I use RAID 1..
From: scott
Date: 2 Mar 2009 06:51:45
Message: <49abc851$1@news.povray.org>
>> Most of what I backup is photos. The rest is coding projects, lots of
>> POV, odd
>> documents... As for where to - external HD, of course.
>
> Uhuh. And this second HD is less likely to fail... why, exactly?

The point is that in order to lose your data, the 2nd drive needs to fail
after the 1st one has failed but before you have a chance to copy back the
data to the replacement, so maybe 3 or 4 days.  The probability of that
happening is much less than a single drive failing at some point.  If you
are really paranoid, then just buy 2 external HDs (different brands might be
a good idea), they are ridiculously cheap nowadays anyway.